Cracked Wheat Kesari



I am going to send this recipe for the JFI event. Thanks to Manjusha for informing me about this contest.

When I heard the main ingredient for this contest was wheat, the first thing came to my mind was this sweet. This is the cracked wheat prasadam served at Annavaram Satyanarayana Swami temple in A.P. And for the first time I am making this since I started cooking 3 years ago. The sweet aroma from this dish reminded me of the times I visited the temple in my childhood.

Ingredients:

Cracked wheat - 1 cup
Water - 2 1/2 cups
Jaggery - 1 cup
Ghee - 3 table spoons (the more you add ghee, the better it tastes)
Cardamoms - 3 no.
Cashews and Raisins - handful (for garnishing)



  1. Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a pan and fry cashews and raisins. Set them aside when they turn brown in color.
  2. In the same pan add cracked wheat and fry for 5 mins. Set it aside.
  3. Add 2 1/2 cups of water to the pan, add jaggery and cardamom. When water starts boiling, add wheat and cook until it is soft.
  4. Add the remaining ghee and cook for 1 min.
  5. Garnish with cashews and raisins.

7 comments:

Manjusha said...

I completely forgot about this sweet. Being a Vizagite, I was lucky to eat this prasadam quite often as somebody or the other would visit the temple and distribute the prasadam. Thanks for posting the recipe. I'll make it sometime soon.

Lakshmi said...

Thanks for your comment Manjusha. And don't forget to send me your feedback when you prepare this recipe.

CELEBRATING LIFE said...

Looks so yummy!! wow you are learning so many food items!!lucky you.

Lakshmi said...

Thanks Pooja for the comment.

Rajee said...

So drooling and smells heavenly. I came to know ur blog through wheat event that I too participate.

Lakshmi said...

Thanks Rajee.

ratnasree said...

wud try it asap!! thank u fr posting it!!