Having lived in Hyderabad for almost 6 years, I am a big fan of biryanis (veg/non-veg). Biryani can be made either in rice cooker or in an oven(dhum style). If there is plenty of time(min 2hrs), I prefer cooking it in an oven. In a rice cooker, biryani comes out a bit moist, but still tastes very good. Veg biryani is a must have item on our menu when we have guests. Here is how I make biryani in a rice cooker.
Basmati rice - 2 cups
Water - 3 cups
Oil - 4 tsp
Cloves - 4
Bay leaves - 4
Cinnamon sticks - 2
Cardamom - 2 (whole)
Salt - as required
Green chillies - 2 (finely chopped, add more if you want more spice)
Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Mixed vegetables - 1 cup
Plain curd/yoghurt - 2 tsp
Garam masala powder - 2 tsp
Onion - 1 (slice length wise)
- Wash the Basmati rice and remove the water.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cloves, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cardamom and fry for 2 mins.
- Add chillies and onion and fry till onion turns brown in color.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for another 2mins.
- Add mixed vegetables and salt. Cook until vegetables are half cooked, for about 5 mins, covering the lid of the pan.
- Add garam masala and curd and fry for another 2mins.
- Now add basmati rice to the above mix and fry for another 2mins.
- Pour this entire mixture into the rice cooker/pressure cooker and add water. Mix well and check the salt/spice. Add more of these if required.
- Cook until rice is done.